We’re here to demystify brewing a good coffee and to strip it back to basics, so that everyone can be confident of getting a barista-quality brew at home.
The Chemex is a great way to brew coffee. Easily cleaned and in a range of sizes, it's a timeless classic that makes a great brew.
Follow the steps below to learn how best to brew with a Chemex. And check out our 90-second fool-proof brewing video for extra tips.
Chemex not your style? Then take a look at one of our many other brew guides for your perfect cup.
We recommend freshly ground coffee for all brews - save on your coffee with a Fireheart Subscription.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 30g Medium-fine ground coffee (somewhere between sea salt and table salt)
- 500g of filtered water
- Chemex & paper filters
- Kettle (Gooseneck)
- Place the paper filter into the Chemex and rinse with water just off the boil, this prevents your coffee tasting papery discard this water
- Place your ground coffee into the Chemex and begin your pour with 90g of water
- Give the coffee a gentle stir with a teaspoon to make sure all the grounds are wet
- Continue your pour slowly up to at total of 500g
- Once you have finished pouring give the Chemex a gentle tap on the bench, this helps push all the grounds stuck on the sides of the filter to the bottom
- Wait for all the water to draw down and enjoy Pro tip: You should aim for a total brew time of between 4-5 minutes with a nice flat bed of coffee at the bottom of the filter.
- Serve and enjoy!